Sunday, March 31, 2013

Broken Glass

Over the last few months we've managed to break every last one of our pretty yet very flimsy Christmas glasses. They were covered in a paisley type design in a dark maroon colour and I was quite excited to experiment with the broken pieces in the microwave kiln. I layered the paisley pieces with some thicker clear glass taken from a broken beer glass and jazzed it up by adding coloured confetti glass (very thin coloured scraps of glass) and orange and red frit, which has the consistency of grainy sand. 

You may remember the "hole without a drill" technique from an old post which I've used here in the top of the piece so it can hang nicely as a pendant. 

I was surprised to see that after firing, the paisley design that was once dark maroon has now turned a lovely purple/dark blueish colour. So not only can whatever paint or enamel was used to print the paisley withstand the super mega crazy temperatures of the kiln, it can also change colour! I really like the effect. If you look closely you can see some of the paisley still has that hint of maroon in places and it's ended up blending together really nicely. I'm pretty happy with how this experiment turned out. To highlight the designs and the colours as much as possible I've painted the back of the pendant with white exterior paint that I'll glaze after it's fully dried.

broken glass mish-mash






No comments:

Post a Comment