Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Pendant Restoration!

It's round 2 for this pendant. I fused this piece a couple of years ago while I was in the States, covered it in copper tape and attempted to solder it to make a nice metal backing and frame. I'm not sure if it was me, the soldering iron, the flux or perhaps a combination of all 3 but I could never seem to get this right. I lost many beautiful pendants to the "blobby solder problem". Have a look at this old post for a few more disaster examples. Here is this pendants "before" shot..
It actually looked even worse on the back. I couldn't wear it because the lumps on the back made it very scratchy. So There it sat in my supplies for years until yesterday, I decided to give it a new lease of life. 






 So using my now ruined nails and a stitch unpick-er (I improvise a lot) I managed to finally remove the hideous backing. I sanded it, polished it and attached a bail and voilà, a funky ready to wear upcycled pendant is born. I had a hard time capturing the colours on my camera as is always the case with Dichroic glass. It looks very 80's retro in real life.



So now I have an appeal. If anyone knows the secret to soldering pendants covered in copper tape and can avoid the blob problem, I would love to hear from you! I gave up a couple of years ago and have been using other techniques instead, but I've seen some beautiful soldered pendants so it must be possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment